The City of Quincy possesses 52 municipal park locations, 10 municipal beach areas and numerous open space areas. There are currently 35 basketball courts, 23 tennis courts, 27 little league/softball fields, eight regulation baseball diamonds, five soccer/lacrosse fields, three football fields, a skateboard park and an in-line skate-facility. Many of our park areas are multi-use facilities, meaning that during different seasons, they are used for different activities.
The city also offers 18 "tot-lot" or children's playgrounds. There are also 10 other locations with playground equipment for young children to use.
Eleven of the City's park locations are "passive" parks without recreational facilities. These parks can be used for walking, sitting or just plain relaxing. There are also two family picnic facilities offered by the city during the spring and summer months.
10 FREE THINGS TO DO IN THE PARK
- Come to the Flag Day Parade and Fireworks on June 13th
- Attend a concert at the Ruth Gordon Amphitheater.
- Watch a baseball, softball, or soccer game at a variety of parks.
- Stroll along the Adams walk; pause to reflect at the World War II Memorial
- Hike through the new Loop Trail at Faxon Park
- Take the kids to any one of the 18 playgrounds in the park system;
including Collins Rest-A-While.
- Visit the Sailor's cemetery just off of Fenno Street
- Play baseball, softball, kick a soccer ball, fly a kite, play tennis and basketball under the lights at Pageant Field - Read More
- Bike along Grossman Park and enjoy both Marsh and Beach Views
PARKS & PLAYGROUNDS BY NEIGHBORHOOD
Hough's Neck/Germantown Neighborhood
Allerton Street Playground
Allerton Street in Hough's Neck
- Children's playground equipment
- Size: 0.5 acres
Island Avenue in Hough's Neck
- Basketball court, softball field, tot-lot and in-line skate park
- Size: 4.6 acres
-Chapel Street in Hough's Neck
-Children's play equipment
Size: .75 acres
Named for Gregorry McKinnon, a young Hough's Neck resident who died unexpectedly in 1982.
Sea Street in Hough's Neck
Softball field, baseball field, two basketball courts and tot-lot.
Size: 6.17 acres
Named for Alfred N. LaBrecque, a Hough's Neck veteran of World War I. LaBrecque went on to serve as President of the Quincy City Council.
Grenham Street Playground
Macy Street in Hough's Neck
Children's play equipment
Size: 0.5 acres
Named for Sgt. Lawrence A. Grenham, a Hough's neck resident who was killed while serving in Vietnam during March, 1968. The park was named in his honor in 1996.
Snug Harbor Playground
Palmer Street in Germantown
Two basketball courts, softball field, three soccer fields and two tot-lots
Size: 7.8 acres
Taffrail Road Playground
Taffrail Road in Germantown
Two basketball courts
Size: 1 acre
Adams Shore/Merrymount Neighborhood
Arthur Boyson Park
Heron Road in Adams Shore
- Basketball court & children's playground equipment
- Size: 1.3 acres
Named for Adams Shore community activist Arthur Boyson, former President of Adams Shore Community Association and helped City work to acquire land for playground.
Calvin Road in Adams Shore
-Two tennis & basketball courts, a softball field and two soccer fields
-Size: 17 acres
Narragansett Road in Merrymount
Soccer field, basketball, tennis and street hockey court and tot-lot
Size: 5.57 acres
The park was named in 1932 for James S. Perkins, longtime Principal of the adjacent Merrymount School
South Quincy/Quincy Point Neighborhood
Bradford Street Playground
Bradford Street in Penn's Hill
Basketball court and tot-lot
Size: 1 acre
Faxon Park, Faxon Park Road in South Quincy
Two little league fields, a softball field with lights, basketball court,
tot-lot, picnic area with pavilion and many walking paths
Size: 57 acres
Originally the Town's South Commons, the land was sold off to private owners in 1818. A large portion of the South Commons was purchased by Job Faxon and he passed the land along to his son Henry H. Faxon. In 1885, Henry Faxon bequeathed 37 acres of land to the City. In 1935, his son Henry M. Faxon added to his father's gift and donated 20 acres to the park, bringing it to its current size.
Elm Street / South Street in Quincy Point
Basketball court and tot-lot
Size: 1 acre
The park is named for William H. Flynn, a Ward II City Councilor in the early 1900's. He was renowned for supporting park and playground projects and was active in youth and semi-pro baseball.
Fore River Field
Beechwood Street in Quincy Point
Two little league fields, street hockey court, tennis court, basketball court and football field
Size: 7.2 acres
One of the baseball diamonds was named for Ray Dunn, a coach and mentor to thousands of Quincy Point youngsters. There is also a memorial stone in honor of David and Stephen Pitts, two Quincy Point brothers who fought in Vietnam.
Columbia Street in South Quincy
Basketball court and children's play equipment
Size: 0.6 acres
Named for Paul V. Grasso, USMC who was a South Quincy resident killed while serving in Vietnam in 1968.
Pond Street in Quincy Point
Baseball field, basketball court and skateboard park
Size: 9 acres
The park is named for Israel W. Monroe, the maternal grandfather of Henry M. Faxon who donated the park to the city. The park was donated to the City in 1935.
Wollaston Hill/Montclair Neighborhood
Hamilton Avenue/Holbrook Road in Montclair
Baseball field, softball field, tot-lot, basketball court, street hockey
court and five tennis courts with lights
Size: 5.5 acres
Frederick H. Bishop was a Civil War veteran of the 14th Infantry. Born on March 30, 1848, Bishop lived on Summit Avenue most of his life. A plaque was dedicated at this park in 1996 in honor of long-time Montclair resident Joseph Gildea.
Stoney Brae Playground
South Central Avenue on Wollaston Hill
Size: 0.5 acres
Brae is the Scottish word for a small slope or hill
Forbes Hill Playground
Summit Avenue/Forbes Hill Road in Wollaston Children's playground equipment, basketball court, tennis court and little league field
Size: 5.25 acres
This site once served as water reservoir for the City. The large granite tower, built 1901-1904, is the only reminder of the park's interesting history. Forbes Hill was likely named for the influential Forbes family that inhabited the area until W. Cameron Forbes had his land taken by the State by eminent domain to build the reservoir.
Whitwell Street Playground
Whitwell Street on Hospital Hill
Size: 6.5 acres
Once the site of an old schoolhouse, the land was developed into a park after the school burnt down in a fire.
West Quincy Neighborhood
Willard Street in West Quincy
Little League baseball field
Size: 1 acre
Named for Sgt. Robert Allen Curry, a West Quincy native who fought in World War II. Curry was winner of the Air Medal and Purple Heart. His B17 bomber disappeared over the Pacific on May 21, 1943.
Hall Place/Quarry Street in West Quincy
Basketball court, street hockey court and children's play equipment
Size: .75 acres
Named for Patrick J. Flaherty, a long-time resident and community activist for the West Quincy area.
Water Street in Southwest Quincy
Softball field and baseball field with lights, tennis court, street hockey court and children's playground equipment
Size: 5.2 acres
Named for Henry L. Kincaide, a Colonel who served in the Spanish-American War. He went on to become one of the most successful businessmen in Quincy. The Kincaide Department store was a staple of the Quincy Center economy for years.
Quarry Street in West Quincy
Children's tot-lot, basketball court, baseball field, softball field and football/soccer field area.
Size: 7.6 acres
This park was named for John J. O'Rourke, a South Quincy resident who was wounded in World War I. The park was dedicated in 1932.
Smith & Quarry Street Playground
Smith Street / Quarry Street in West Quincy
Size: 0.25 acres
Sterling Middle School Park
Roberts Street in West Quincy
Basketball court and track facility
Size: 1.5 acres
The adjacent school is named for Reay E. Sterling, long-time principal of the South Junior High School.
Beechwood Knoll Playground
Fenno Street in Wollaston
Basketball court and children's tot-lot
Size: 2.2 acres
Mass Field Playground
Willett Street in Wollaston
Basketball court, tot-lot and large play area
Size: 1.1 acres
Playground named for adjacent school, which is now closed.
Hancock Street / Merrymount Parkway in Wollaston
Quincy's largest and most utilized park, it is home to the following facilities:
- Adams Walk: Dedicated June 13, 2009, World War II Memorial
- Adams Presidential Tablet
- Charles Francis Adams gift monument, fountain and benches
- Veterans' Memorial Stadium: Synthetic field turf hosting football, soccer and lacrosse
- Varsity Soccer Field: soccer field
- Adams Field: finest amateur baseball field in New England
- Coletta Field: regulation baseball field
- Mitchell / McCoy Field: girls' and women's-only softball facility
- Collins Rest-a-While: children's playground
- Fenno Street Courts: two basketball and two tennis courts with lights
- Ruth Gordon Amphitheater: City's only outdoor amphitheater
- Pageant Field: two little league field and picnic facility
- Ryan Boathouse: City's only boating and sailing facility named for William F. Ryan, the city's first Recreation Director, who served from 1955-1975.
- Richard J. Koch Park & Rec Complex: Home of the Park and Recreation Departments
Merrymount Park is 80 acres in size. It was donated to the City of Quincy in 1885 by Charles Francis Adams II, grandson of President John Quincy Adams. Adams procured his good friend Frederick Law Olmsted to help develop the park, but the town did not have the money for Olmsted to develop a full plan. In addition to the recreation facilities, the park possesses wooded uplands and acres of salt marsh.
Directly adjacent to Merrymount Park is Grossman Park, a 50-acre preserve of wetlands and upland area. The park was given to the City by the Grossman family in the 1960's.
Wollaston School Playground
Beale Street in Wollaston
Children's tot-lot and basketball court
Size: 2.15 acres
North Quincy/Squantum Neighborhood
Birch Street in North Quincy
Football field, basketball court and track facility
Size: 4.5 acres
Named for Staff Sergeant Charles Cavanagh, who was killed while serving his country on March 6, 1945 in Germany. Cavanagh served with Company C, 28th Infantry Regt, 8th Division. He was born in Quincy on June 21, 1904 and a plaque was dedicated at the park on June 22, 1947. The current plaque was rededicated on June 14, 2000.
Hollis Avenue in North Quincy
Two softball fields and soccer-playing area
Size: 8.3 acres
Located behind Atlantic Middle School, the field is named for Dennis O'Neil, a lifelong resident of the Atlantic neighborhood. He served many distinguished years as Ward Foreman of the Quincy Public Works Department. The school was built on parkland
Newbury Avenue in North Quincy
Size: 2.5 acres
Once the site of an old dump, the City constructed this field in 1995-1996 to help meet the growing demand for soccer facilities. It now serves as the home field of North Quincy High School soccer.
Welcome Young Playground
Sagamore Street in North Quincy
Children's tot-lot, two basketball courts, two tennis courts and field area
Size: 3.16 acres
This field is named for Welcome G. Young, a City Councilor from Ward Six who served from 1919 to 1929. He made his living in the wholesale toy industry and was a member of the Masonic Fraternity.
Wendall Moses Playground
Park Avenue in Squantum
Children's tot-lot, basketball court, two tennis courts, street hockey court and two little league fields Size: 3.6 acres
This playground in named for John Wendall Moses, a Squantum resident who was killed in World War I during the Battle of Argonne on October 23, 1918. Moses was with the Army's 101st Infantry Division. In 2001, the little league diamonds were named for Bill Phinney and Don Frazier.
Located adjacent to Nickerson Beach and ranging from there to the Long Island Bridge, Squaw Rock is a passive recreational area with beautiful views of the City of Boston and Boston Harbor.
Quincy Center Neighborhood
Faxon Field / Russell Park
Southern Artery in Quincy Center
Regulation sized track and field facility, two softball fields, football practice field, children's play equipment, basketball court and five tennis courts with lights
Size: 7.5 acres
Named for Henry M. Faxon, who bequeathed this land to the people of the city of Quincy in 1919. His original gift also included the land where the Vo-Tech school currently sits.
The original statue of John Adams sits in Freedom Park.